Skip Main Navigation
USU Brigham City (435) 919-1200

Our History

Utah State University Brigham City Timeline

Utah State University Brigham City started operating in the Box Elder County Courthouse in 1984. For the following two years, classes were offered at the courthouse via the Utah State University Com-Net delivery system and face-to-face classes were offered in rooms rented from the Box Elder School District. In 1985, a turn-of-the-century home (located at 23 South 200 East) was rented from Box Elder School District and the Com-Net system was expanded and moved into the old home. The living room became a computer lab, one bedroom an office, and other bedrooms became Com-Net classrooms. In 1991, a store-front in an abandoned strip mall was rented and remodeled for use as classrooms for both Com-Net classes and face-to-face classes.

Student enrollment and degree offerings continued to expand over the next five years. In 1996 State Representative Rob Bishop, from Brigham City, spearheaded a campaign to appropriate money to expand the Utah State University Brigham City campus. The entire strip mall was purchased and 15,000 square feet of space was renovated for use by Utah State University Brigham City campus.

Utah State University Brigham City continued to grow and in 2002 seven thousand square feet of additional space was renovated for university use. In 2005, a 17,000 square-foot renovation began which created eight new state-of-the-art classrooms, a child care center, bookstore, break room, student lounge, and exercise facility.

In 2008, a 12,000 square-foot expansion began which was completed in early 2009. This new expansion added a one-stop student services center, and five laboratories - anatomy, engineering, science, anthropology, and child development. The expansion also included one classroom, materials library, laboratory preparation unit, and a warming kitchen.

In 2011, the upstairs section of the Milton P. Miller Building was remodeled. This new remodel provided offices for the Box Elder County Business Resource Center, additional classrooms, The Writing Center, and a Science Tutoring room.

The timelines below are organized in reverse chronological order so the most recent events will occur at the beginning as Utah State University Brigham City continues to grow and develop.

2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006
2005
  • Student Body President, JaNae Burger, receives Woman of the Year Robins Award.
  • Tremonton site opens for area students.
  • James Earl joins Utah State University Brigham City as Assistant Director.
  • Jill Rasmussen joins Utah State University Brigham City as Director of Student Services.
  • Angels for Christmas completes third successful year.
2004
  • Utah State University Brigham City enrollment reaches 1,000 student mark.
  • K-Mart building located at 1000 South Main Street in Brigham City given to Utah State University Brigham City with Selma and Milton P. Miller as benefactors.  The building is approximately 90,000 square feet.  Open house held on April 2, 2004.
  • Graduation Ceremony honors 57 graduates.
  • Student Body President, Kiersten Hewitt, earns Woman of the Year Robins Award.
  • Utah State University Brigham City held 1st Annual Family Fair.
2003
  • Utah State University Brigham City hired three full-time lecturers – one each for English, biology, math.
  • Associate of Science in General Studies added to degrees offered.
  • Campus underwent renovation to create new offices for faculty and staff, workroom, study room, two test rooms, and student government office.
  • Utah State University Brigham City began Angels for Christmas Program.
2002
  • First phase remodel began of 6,925 square feet to include four classrooms and a student study area.
  • Andy Shinkle appointed as Utah State University Brigham City Regional Department Head/Center Director.
  • Masters program in Family and Human Development offered.
  • Governor of Utah signed bill to purchase the Educational Center (Old Fred Meyer Complex).
  • Utah State University Brigham City co-sponsors Box Elder County Technology Expo on December 5, 2002.  An estimated 3,000 attended.
2001

Commencement held on April 19, 2001 honored seventy graduates.

Enrollment exceeds 700 students (705 to be more exact).

1991 - 2000
  • On April 6, Utah State University Brigham City held first commencement in Brigham City honoring 30 graduates. Graduates attended all or most of their classes at Utah State University Brigham City.
  • George H. Emert retired as Utah State University Logan president.
  • Kermit L. Hall named as new president of Utah State University Logan effective January 2001.
  • Katie Shea, Utah State University Brigham City student named 1999 Elementary Education Scholar of the Year.
  • Utah State University Brigham City changes from quarters to semester system.
  • Distance Education Student Government established. Matt Firth became first representative for Brigham City campus.
  • On March 22, 1997, an Open House and Dedication Ceremony was held for the Box Elder County Education Center, which includes the Utah State University Brigham City campus.
  • Dr. Rex L. Tueller, Dean of Continuing Education, retired. Dr. Robert L. Gilliland appointed as Dean of Continuing Education.
  • On Thursday, October 30, 1997, a live demonstration and press conference were held to announce and demonstrate the new Utah Education Satellite Services which provided increased interactive capability and utilized Utah's new digital satellite system. This system replaced a 14-year-old electronic system. The new digital system provided full-motion, full-color video and two-way communication.
  • Box Elder County purchases Fred Meyer complex for Brigham City Education Center - Utah State University Brigham City.
  • Campus expanded to include building at 265 West 1100 South, Brigham City, Utah.
  • Utah State University Brigham City honors 73 graduates?one doctorate; 31 master; 34 bachelor; 7 associate/certification.
  • Utah State University Brigham City honored 36 graduates on May 9, 1995?5 masters; 20 bachelors; 11 associates.
  • Utah State University Brigham City offered four masters, four bachelors, and two associates degrees. In addition, over 150 independent home study courses were available.
  • Enrollment reaches 353 students.
  • Utah State University Brigham City designated as a branch campus.
  • Twenty-six graduate on May 17, 1994 - four masters; one administrative supervisory endorsement; one secondary education certificate; one associate of applied science; 19 bachelors.
  • Utah State University Brigham City offered eight master and three bachelor programs.
  • Administrative secretary, senior secretary, and lab assistant added to Utah State University Brigham City staff.
  • Enrollment reaches 258 students.Utah State University Brigham City has nineteen graduates.
  • Com-Net courses offered in Tremonton for first time in Spring 1991.
  • Lou Workman becomes USU Brigham City center director.
  • USU Brigham City moves to 275 West 1100 South; Brigham City. An Open House held on September 16th.
1981- 1990
  • Classes offered near 60.
  • Dr. Terry R. Teigler appointed Brigham City Center Director in 1988.
  • Three Com-Net teacher's assistants were added to the Utah State University Brigham City staff
  • In 1984, telecommunication courses, named LearnerNet, were offered for the first time. LearnerNet utilized electronic blackboards, slow scan video cameras, and direct phone/data lines to Logan campus. An Open House was held on September 26, 1984, to demonstrate telecommunications system.
  • Utah State University Brigham City center moved to 23 South 200 East, Brigham City. An Open House was held on July 28, 1983.
  • In 1983, Dr. Terry R. Teigeler was named as USU Brigham City coordinator.
  • Eight Osborne computers were purchased for use in microcomputer applications, computer science, and computer programming courses.
  • In 1981, registration took place at the Brigham City Board of Education office located at 230 West 200 South. Most classes were held at the Box Elder High School.
  • Kevin L. Kirk was the first USU Brigham City Program Coordinator.
  • Forty-three classes offered in Brigham City; six in Tremonton.
  • Utah State University Brigham City began a program that offered all courses required for students to fulfill their general education requirements.